Varun Dhawan’s power is kind of palpable when he walks right into a room: discuss of him being essentially the most lively individual on set isn’t simply discuss, he actually does carry the room collectively and fully activates the allure.
We meet him in Abu Dhabi, the place the Badlapur star can’t comprise his pleasure —it’s fairly disarming to see an actor in fanboy mode round his icons —as he’s hours away from watching his first UFC (Final Preventing Championship) occasion stay.
“I can’t wait! I’ve by no means had an opportunity to observe a battle in individual, and now I’m with two of my finest mates right here to observe Khabib vs Poirier. UAE has many particular recollections for me and is near my coronary heart… we shot Dishoom in Abu Dhabi, whereas my subsequent movie Avenue Dancer 3D had schedules in Dubai,” he tells us, forward of travelling to the strapping Du Enviornment in Yas Island, the place UFC 242 was scheduled.
The actor, who’s at present taking pictures for his dad David Dhawan’s movie Coolie No 1 (the remake of Govinda’s 1995 superhit), has taken a brief break from the units to attend the occasion. Although reluctant to reply any film-related queries, Varun’s completely satisfied to speak to us about why MMA has change into such an integral a part of his life.
“My love for mixed martial arts started around five to six years ago, and I must confess it came with me watching UFC on television. Be it athletes like Anderson Silva, Conor McGregor, or now Khabib… I’ve spent hours checking out their earlier fights, understanding the different kinds of techniques they use, and been thoroughly motivated. That’s why I’m such an ardent fan today!” he begins, confessing that he helps Khabib Nurmagomedov now in UFC.
What’s UFC and why was UFC 242 so common?
- UFC (Final Preventing Championship) is the most important MMA promotion firm on the earth, and has grown to carry over 400 occasions globally which have showcased the most effective MMA athletes throughout nationalities. The completely different methods utilized in combined martial arts in the present day have originated from a number of preventing disciplines and fight sports activities like boxing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, sambo, wrestling, Muay Thai, and karate.
- Boasting of an enormous fan base, even in India, fighters resembling reigning Light-weight Champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Henry Cejudo Tony Ferguson have attracted assist worldwide and are among the most marketable athletes in modern-day sport.
- A multi-billion-dollar enterprise in the present day, UFC is headed by Dana White. The primary occasion was held in 1993 at McNichols Sports activities Enviornment in Denver, Colorado, whereas the newest pay-per-view occasion was UFC 242 held at Yas Island in Abu Dhabi on September 7, 2019.
- After weeks of an intensive social media marketing campaign and controversy surrounding the sooner UFC 229 battle between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor, UFC 242 was billed as much as be one among MMA’s most anticipated occasions.
- The newest occasion was headlined by a match between present champion, the Russian Khabib and interim champion from USA, Dustin Poirier. Khabib ended up profitable, defending his opponent by way of submission with a rear-naked choke, a lot to the delight of his followers. With 28 wins and no losses, he now holds the longest undefeated streak in MMA historical past.
- The following occasion within the UFC roster, UFC 243: Whittaker vs. Adesanya is scheduled to be held in October in Melbourne, Australia.
Varun is admired by followers and friends alike for being one among Bollywood’s fittest younger stars —all these shirtless pics on Instagram don’t create themselves. He solutions that the coaching routines from UFC are one thing that preserve him motivated continually: “I mean, it’s insane right? Working out for 16 hours a day, dealing with injuries, their recovery process… I see these videos on YouTube and as a performer, I’m inspired as hell.”
A lot so, that he’s even included a few of his favorite MMA ‘moves’ in his movies. “Haha, yes, the ‘Superman Punch’ is something I’ve tried in my stunts. Anthony Pettis from UFC has several moves I like to try out. The roundhouse kick and armbar are other favourites. But I haven’t done an out-and-out action film as yet. When I do one, my love for MMA will certainly show in it!”
Having mentioned that, Varun admits that he tries to maintain a stability in his movie selections: be it industrial ventures like David Dhawan’s Judwaa 2 or intense outings like Shoojit Sircar’s October that received the actor a number of awards. “My attention span changes constantly, so I’m always looking to try something new, master a different skill. I’m relatively still new to the industry and there’s plenty of time for me to experiment.”
Quoting one other sportsperson, cricket Sachin Tendulkar because the one athlete whose profession has at all times pushed him to maintain persevering, Varun indicators off with a phrase on the rising combined martial arts scene in India: “It’s an emerging market in our country, and we have such incredible talent. We have the second largest population in the world; it’s just a matter of time before we unearth someone who can make it on the biggest stage of them all. I hope every aspirant there is training and keeps dreaming!”
Varun Dhawan was in Abu Dhabi to observe UFC 242 stay on the invitation of Sony Photos Sports activities Community and UFC. Sony Photos Sports activities Community is the official broadcaster of UFC in India. The author was in Abu Dhabi on invitation from Sony Photos Sports activities Community.